Thursday, November 28, 2013

42) Family Values and Xmas - 28th November

Two years ago I spent Xmas here in Harrison with Leigh-Ann.

We stayed with her sister Earla and Earla's husband, Michael. Oliver, my son joined us from his home in Perth, Australia.

That Xmas in 2011 was a life chaining one for both of us. The reason is simple: Xmas was simple!
Xmas lights in harrison
As his father I had brought up both of my children (Oliver and Felicity) believing in Father Christmas and that they would probably get whatever they asked him for which normally meant spending a huge amount of money every year believing that this would make them both happy for the whole year until either a birthday or Xmas came around again.

How wrong was I? That plan never worked.

Xmas in Harrison, on the other hand, was a completely different affair. Small, well thought out gifts, hand-made Xmas cards, home cooking, lots of family! 

The simplicity and honesty of a Harrison Xmas meant a lot to both of us and I could see the effect that it had on Oliver. I understood how he felt because it affected me in the same way. It had a profound effect on both of us.

It looks like I will be enjoying another Harrison Xmas this year. Unplanned but not unwelcome!

Sharing it with Leigh-Ann and her family could only be surpassed by having Oliver and Felicity here as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi LA I am in the uk at the moment catching up with hannah we both are thinking of you and sending big hugs. I have left Ian in charge! Haha. Love jane x

    ReplyDelete