Monday, November 18, 2013

32) The Wedding - 17th November Sunday

There will be a Mass at Iglesia El Salvador Church in Nerja on Thursday 21st November at 8:00pm. I hope that all her friends can attend.

May I introduce Mrs Wood?

Next to the birth of my two children, yesterday was the happiest day of my life. The day started off badly. Leigh-Ann had been on a saline drip since the previous afternoon. With the wedding imminent we agreed that it was important to rehydrate her fully and perk her up. Saline should do the trick. 
Still single, just...
The next morning she was still drifting in and out of sleep. It didn't seem to be working.

I now totally believe in the power of the mind over the body as at 4:15 she wanted to get dressed ready for her wedding! She was excited like a little girl and eager to enjoy her special day.

Earla and Sarah gave her a hot bath and washed her hair and then Felicity did her eyes. Then we helped her get dressed. She looked beautiful. More beautiful than I have ever seen her.
Felicity, Me, Leigh-Ann and Sarah

At exactly 4:45 the "Family" arrived from their local hotels.

Joey, Bruce, Carole, Mackenzie, Maliya, Alan, Lynda, Morgan, Chase, Andre, Sarah, Charmaine, Chad, Fraser (the cute baby), Earla, Michael and Sarah.

Earla's friend, Rosemary was going to perform the ceremony and Roxanne was to officiate.

The ceremony was short but perfect. It is quite scary just how quickly a couple can be married. 
Rosemary performing the ceremony

Sarah read some words of her own and made everyone cry, Rosemary read our vows and once we had become "man and wife" Felicity read a poem that she had written. A quick glass of wine and the newly enlarged family was in transit to the reception.

As Leigh-Ann stood up to get into her wheelchair and go she said, "I don't want to go now. I want to fight". She said it in a strong, defiant voice. At first I thought she didn't want to go to the reception but she was actually saying "I want to live" for the first time since her diagnosis. It was an amazing moment but also sad as it is too late to fight her cancer.
Andre, Earla, Sarah, Chad, Fraser, Charmaine,
Michael, Me and Leigh-Ann
The reception was spectacular. The wine, the food, the cake, the conversation. Everything was just fantastic. Our hosts, Richard and Jenny of Muddy Waters, put heart and soul into serving the best ever food and wine. A BIG thank you to them. Thanks also to Carole for providing the most fattening cake in the history of cake making and to Lynda for the best ever disposable napkins (where did you buy them?).


Sarah, Leigh-Ann and Carole
The perfect afternoon ended with the perfect evening. Our honeymoon night was spent at the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel. We had a lovely room overlooking the lake.

My new wife was very tired and fell asleep as soon as she lay down. Throughout the night she dreamt and said the funniest things. "Is there a coffee grinder in the hall?", "why are you wearing sunglasses?" and so on.

After a broken night I awoke to find Leigh-Ann sitting up in bed eating a strawberry coated in milk chocolate. "Delicious". She ate the sat one!

Once the sun had risen (you couldn't see it) I sat her on a comfy chair looking out over the lake. "it's so beautiful" she said. It reminded me of the film "On Golden Pond". Leigh-Ann was at peace, happy and quiet gazing out over the misty water.
Richard taking orders at Muddy Waters
These days such small things mean so much. A smile, a glance, a movement, a touch, holding hands. A kiss. Walking across a room, having a pee, eating a tiny piece of bread. Exchanging a few words. Going out in the fresh air.

So many previously important things become insignificant compared to holding onto life.

Thank you, Leigh-Ann, for becoming my wife.


7 comments:

  1. Leigh-Ann you look beautiful.....I am so happy for you. Wonderfully written blog, Steve.....It is so nice to see someone by Leigh-Ann's side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful wedding day it turned out to be! How lovely to hear all about it, thank you so much for sharing this with us, Steve. Leigh-Ann looks beautiful and I can fully understand why she would want to stay with you all (my sister told me about Proton therapy, how effective and successful it is - particularly in Germany, I found this link, if you are interested: http://www.pennprotontherapy.org/meet-our-patients/rob.html)
    Lots of love and best wishes to the newly weds. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh-Ann & Steve, sending you love and congratulations on your wedding. Leigh-Ann you look beautiful in your dress!!!! I love all the pictures and how everything turned out so beautiful!!!!
    love, Joani :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful day and the bride looks so beautiful...love to you both and Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful bride, indeed. So very pleased for you both. it sounds like you had the most wonderful day imaginable.

    Lou and I are looking forward to the Mass tomorrow, joining with your many friends in Nerja to celebrate the happy couple, and say a big thank you to you both for your friendship.

    Thoughts, prayers, love and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you both. Leigh Ann I am so glad you got to enjoy your wedding day .... I know you were so looking forward to it. You both look so happy. Steve is a lucky man getting you for his wife. You looked beautiful as always. Enjoy your time together. Unfortunately I can't make it to Spain to celebrate your joyous occasion with all your other friends but I will be thinking of you. You are in my thoughts daily. Thanks to Steve for posting the photos of your special day for us all to share. All my love and heartfelt wishes I send to you both with lots of kisses and hugs. Lxxxxxx

      Delete
  6. Steve you are just amazing. Thank you so much for loving my friend as you do.

    ReplyDelete